High School Essay Contest Resources
Students beginning their research for the 2017-2018 National High School Essay Contest may wish to consider the following resources. Be sure to view past winners’ essays, rules and guidelines, and a helpful writer’s checklist.
- The U.S. Institute of Peace has developed a comprehensive study guide for this year's contest. Click here for the guide.
“Basics” of Peacebuilding and Diplomacy
- AFSA’s book: Inside a U.S. Embassy: Diplomacy at Work.
Note: Although you can purchase this publication online, it is also available in many libraries.
- The Department of State’s website: www.state.gov
- The U.S. Agency for International Development’s website: www.usaid.gov
- The United States Institute of Peace’s website: www.usip.org
- AFSA’s Foreign Service Journal: http://afsa.org/fsj-archives (Especially the April 2016 Issue)
- Information about the Foreign Service: http://careers.state.gov/work/foreign-service
Population, Refugees, and Migration
- The Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration’s website: http://www.state.gov/j/prm/
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) publications: http://www.unhcr.org/resources-and-publications.html
- The Council on Foreign Relation’s articles on refugees and the displaced:http://www.cfr.org/publication/by_type/journal_article.html?groupby=1&filter=114
- The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants: http://refugees.org/
- Refugee Studies Centre: https://www.rsc.ox.ac.uk/publications
- Migration Policy Institute: http://www.migrationpolicy.org/topics/refugee-asylum-policy
- Organization for Refuge, Asylum and Migration (ORAM): http://oramrefugee.org/
Other Useful Resources
- Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training: http://adst.org/
- The Wilson Center publications: https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publications
- The Wilson Center research: https://www.wilsoncenter.org/research
- Brookings Institute research: http://www.brookings.edu/research#iran/topics/
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies publications: https://www.csis.org/programs/strategic-technologies-program/publications
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace publications: http://carnegieendowment.org/
- American Enterprise Institute research and publications: http://www.aei.org/publication/research/
- The Department of State’s list of think tanks: http://www.state.gov/s/p/tt/
- Writing, research, and bibliography guide: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/
- https://www.loc.gov/collection/foreign-affairs-oral-history/?q (Frontline Diplomacy: The Foreign Affairs Oral History Collection of the Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training)
- http://www.adst.org/OH%20TOCs/Young,%20Johnny.toc.pdf (ADST oral history of Ambassador Johnny Young)