- Awards & Honors
- Ambassador Tracker
- President Obama’s Second-Term Nominations
- AFSA Statement on Ambassadors
- Certificates of Demonstrated Competence
- Foreign Service Act of 1980
- Assistant Secretaries: Foreign Service Career vs Other Appointments
- Career vs. Other Appointments: Assistant Secretary Equivalents
- Assistant Secretaries Since 1973
- Senior Positions: Foreign Service Career vs. Other Appointments
- Special Envoys, Representatives, Coordinators
- History of Appointments by Post
- History of Appointments by Continent
- Female U.S. Ambassadors
- Appointments - G-8 & G-20
- Appointments - Barack Obama
- Appointments - George W. Bush
- Appointments - William J. Clinton
- Appointments - George H. W. Bush
- Appointments - Ronald Reagan
- Appointments - Jimmy Carter
- Appointments - Gerald Ford
- Ambassadors to the U.S. from Other Nations
- Press Releases
- Member Agencies & Representatives
- About AFSA
History of Appointments by Continent
The chart below shows the division of ambassador slots by continent between career appointments and political appointments since 1960.
Updated July15, 2016
|Continent||Career Appointments||Political Appointments||% Political Since 1960|
|Western Europe 1||107||281||72.4%|
|North & Central America 4||91||66||42.0%|
|South Asia 5||93||33||26.2%|
|East Asia 6||162||52||24.3%|
|South America 7||175||48||21.5%|
|Eastern Europe 8||174||45||20.5%|
|The Middle East 10||246||39||13.7%|
|Central Asia 11||56||0||0%|
1Western Europe includes Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holy See, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
2Caribbean includes Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Trinidad & Tobago.
3Oceania includes Australia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.
4North & Central America includes Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Panama.
5South Asia includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
6East Asia includes Brunei Darussalam, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Palau, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam.
7South America includes Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
8Eastern Europe includes Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Ukraine.
9Africa includes Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (DR), Congo (Republic of), Cote d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé & Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
10The Middle East includes Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
11Central Asia includes Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
Questions, comments, corrections? Please let us know!