Obtaining or Renewing a State Retiree ID Card
Diplomatic Security (DS) issues retiree identification cards that provide these privileges:
- A retiree identification card can be used to obtain a Harry S Truman Building (HST) and/or State Annex 1 (SA-1) Retiree Visitor Pass (RVP). A RVP provides a retiree with unescorted access to HST’s customer service area (Foggy Bottom and 1st floor) and the 3rd floor Ralph Bunche Library. A RVP also provides a retiree with unescorted access to SA-1’s Office of Retirement (HR/RET) and Office of Medical Services (M/MED) suites and service areas. Access is allowed during normal business hours.
- Retirees can sign in and escort their eligible family members.
- Retiree identification card holders who wish to visit offices in other parts of HST or SA-1 must be placed on the DS visitor registry by the office to be visited, and then may proceed to that office unescorted during normal business hours.
- Retiree identification cards are valid for five years.
Procedures to Obtain or Renew a State Retiree ID Card:
- To obtain or renew a retiree identification card, the retiree must complete Form DS-1838 (Request for Personal Identification Card) at the Office of Retirement (HR/RET), 2401 E Street NW, Room H-620, SA-1, Columbia Plaza, Washington, DC 20522, 202-261-8960 (hours: 8am to 4:30 pm weekdays). Enter the building at the lower level (below the plaza level) and the DS guard will call HR/RET to escort you to the office. A retirement counselor in HR/RET will sign the form to certify your status as a retiree.
- Then proceed to the HST Diplomatic Security Identification Services (DSIS) office to complete the process to acquire the retiree identification card. DSIS is located at SA-9 (former Red Cross building) located at 2025 E Street NW, on the first floor – SE1051. You must apply to DSIS within 10 business days of the certification date of your DS-1838. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-647-2957 with any questions.
- Retirees must provide two forms of identification, one of which must be a photo ID. ID’s that are typically used are a valid (not expired) DoS Personal ID Card, a state driver’s license, a U.S. passport, a Global Entry Card (DHS), social security card, birth certificate, voter registration card, etc. If unsure, call 202-647-2957 in advance to confirm your ID’s will be acceptable. The retiree identification card is valid for five years. Please note that you can renew your retiree identification card six months before it expires.