The Foreign Service Journal - January/February 2018

THE FOREIGN SERVICE JOURNAL | JANUARY-FEBRUARY 2018 95 under USAID Administrator Bill Gaud and then John Hannah. In 1970 he was named deputy director of USAID’s Nigeria office, and the family moved to Lagos for the two- year posting. In 1972 Mr. Hummon was chosen to attend USAID’s Senior Seminar in Foreign Policy, following which he was posted to the Philippines as deputy mission director. In 1976 the Hummon family moved to Riyadh, where Mr. Hummon headed the U.S. Mission to the U.S.-Saudi Arabian Joint Economic Commission, working under the auspices of the U.S. Treasury Department. Mr. Hummon’s next assignment was at USAID headquarters inWashington, D.C., where he was head of the budget office at the Bureau for Policy and Program Coordination. In 1986 the family went back overseas when Mr. Hummon was named mission director of USAID Botswana in Gabo- rone. In 1990 he returned to Washington to an assignment in USAID’s Human Resources office. Mr. Hummon became acting U.S. repre- sentative for USAID to the United Nations in Geneva in 1993. His last assignment was as head of workforce planning and chairperson of the Equal Opportunity Task Force inWashington, D.C. “I had some of the best jobs in the world,” his children remember him saying. In 1995, Mr. Hummon retired from the Foreign Service and shifted his focus to church activities, volunteer work and travel. He served as a deacon at Potomac Presbyterian Church, sang in the church choir, led singalongs at D.C. area nursing homes with his spirited piano playing, and wrote a carol reflecting his personal spiri- tual beliefs, “Love CameThere,” available at Colla Voce Music. Mr. Hummon also shared his musical gifts at the Old Timers’ Show at the Mont- gomery County Agricultural Fair, where he was a devoted volunteer. The Hummons enjoyed spending time with their family. They cherished the decades-long tradition of family reunions and kept it alive with their own children and grandchildren. Mr. Hummon was well known through- out his extended family, his children recall, for his dinner-table prayer: “God bless everybody in the whole wide world. No exceptions.” Mr. Hummon’s wife of 63 years, Jean, predeceased himby 26 days. He is sur- vived by their four children and 12 grand- children (see previous entry); and an older sister, Janet Rankin of Rhinebeck, N.Y. Memorial contributions may be made to Holy Cross Hospice of Gaborone, Botswana, c/o St. Augustine’s Chapel, 6330b, Nashville TN 37235. n Susan Pierce Lively, 67, a retired Senior Foreign Service officer, died on Oct. 23, 2017, at the Goodwin House in Bailey’s Crossroads, Va., of pancreatic cancer, which had been diagnosed a year earlier. Ms. Lively was born onMarch 13, 1950, in Danville, Ky., the first child of U.S. Cir- cuit Court of Appeals Judge Pierce Lively and Amelia Lively. She attended public schools in Danville, and graduated from the Hockaday School in Dallas. Following study for two years at Eckerd College, she earned a bachelor’s degree with a major in history at Centre College in 1972. Later, she would earn a master’s degree in Russian and East European stud- ies from the University of Michigan. Between college and graduate school she worked as a reporter at the Danville Advocate-Messenger and in the office of U.S. Representative TimLee Carter (D-Ky.). She also traveled with a U.S. exhibit around the Soviet Union for several months. In 1979Ms. Lively joined the Foreign Service. With a talent for languages and a love of history and travel, she was well- suited for a diplomat’s life. A consular officer, she served first in Poland during the Solidarity Movement andmartial law. During that tense time, she was detained by the security forces outside the Warsaw Steel Mill while observing early demonstrations against the Communist Party crack-down. Over the next 24 years, she was posted to the Soviet Union, China, Albania and Barbados, with stints inWashington, D.C., in between. Ms. Lively was in Albania when the government dissolved, and was one of the embassy staff who remained in place to evacuate U.S. citizens and other foreigners. She developed expertise in visa application fraud. Ms. Lively retired from the Foreign Service in 2003, but returned to the State Department to work as a re-employed annuitant. For the next 12 years she took assignments around the world, andmoni- tored elections in Eastern Europe and in the former Soviet Union. “She lived life to the fullest, taking advantage of every opportunity to see (and taste) new things,” a longtime friend and colleague recalls. In the Washington area, Susan volunteered as an ESL teacher, a Big Sister, an aide at a shelter for battered women, an evaluator of applicants for a foreign exchange program and as an assis- tant in programs for the homeless. She also served in the lay leadership of her church, Western Presbyterian. In October 2016, on return from a State Department temporary assignment in China, Ms. Lively was diagnosed with her fatal illness. Choosing to live as fully as possible in the time she had, she moved to Goodwin House where she joined (yet another) book club, became a regular in the gym, wrote for the residents’ website, attended lectures andmovies, and relished