Page 75 - FSJ_03_12

This is a SEO version of FSJ_03_12. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
M A R C H 2 0 1 2 / F O R E I G N S E R V I C E J O U R N A L
Washington, was an ardent opponent
of segregation and endeavored to ad-
vance education.
She was raised Catholic but at-
tended Unitarian-Universalist churches
for decades, and later settled comfort-
ably into a Friends (Quaker) service.
She was an avid traveler into her 80s,
venturing to France and Prague. She
relocated to Indianapolis in April 2010.
Mrs. Peaslee was preceded in death
by her husband in 1996. She is sur-
vived by four daughters, grandchildren,
a great-granddaughter, nieces, her cat
YangWei Fei, many friends and admir-
ers, and sons-in-law Eric Wertman of
Macungie, Pa., Dan Church of Bethle-
hem, Pa., Bill Davis of Charlottesville,
Va., who provided much-appreciated
in-home care.
Memorial contributions may be
made to NPR, Westminster Village
North, Indianapolis IN 46236, or Sea-
sons Hospice, Indianapolis IN 46237.
Robert P. Smith
, 82, a retired ca-
reer FSO and three-time ambassador,
died on Jan. 20 at his home inMissoula,
Mont., from complications of chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease.
Mr. Smith was born on March 5,
1929, in Joplin, Mo. He met his wife,
Irene, while attending Texas Christian
University, and they were married in
Fort Worth, Texas, in August 1953. He
received his B.A. in 1954 and his M.A.
in 1955 from TCU. Mr. Smith served
with the U.S. Marine Corps from 1946
to 1949 and from 1950 to 1952, reach-
ing the rank of captain. In 1951 and
1952 he served as an infantry officer
and platoon leader with the First Ma-
rine Division in Korea.
Joining the Foreign Service in 1955,
Mr. Smith was assigned to the State
Department as a press officer. He then
served as a consular officer in Lahore
(1956-1958). In 1959, he was assigned
as economic officer and, later, political
officer in Beirut.
Mr. Smith took African area studies
at Northwestern University under the
auspices of the Foreign Service Insti-
tute from 1961 to 1962, and was then
assigned to Enugu, Nigeria, as consul
and principal officer from1962 to 1965.
He returned to the State Department
to become officer-in-charge of Ghana-