Page 76 - FSJ_03_12

This is a SEO version of FSJ_03_12. Click here to view full version

« Previous Page Table of Contents Next Page »
F O R E I G N S E R V I C E J O U R N A L / M A R C H 2 0 1 2
ian affairs from 1965 to 1966, and from
1966 to 1969 was officer-in-charge of
Nigerian affairs and deputy director
for West African affairs. In 1967 he
received the Meritorious Honor
Mr. Smith attended the National
War College from 1969 to 1970.
Then, from 1970 to 1974, he served as
minister-counselor and deputy chief of
mission in Pretoria On June 12, 1974,
President Richard Nixon named Mr.
Smith U.S. ambassador to Malta.
From 1976 to 1979 he was ambassa-
dor to Ghana, and from 1979 to 1981
he served as ambassador to Liberia.
On retiring in 1981, Ambassador
Smith returned to his home in
McLean, Va.
From 1981 to 1985, Amb. Smith
was the president and CEO of the
African Wildlife Foundation, which
had projects in Kenya, Tanzania,
Uganda and Rwanda. In 1989, he re-
turned to the State Department and
worked on a part-time basis in the Of-
fice of Asylum Affairs until 1998. A
long struggle with multiple sclerosis
and COPD limited his physical activi-
ties in retirement, but he remained ac-
tive as a volunteer teacher of English
as a Second Language and as a mem-
ber of Columbia Baptist Church in
Falls Church, Va.
At his death, Amb. Smith was sur-
rounded by his family. Having moved
to Missoula in December 2010 to live
with his daughter, Karen Martin, he
spent his last year enveloped in family
love, enjoying the Missoula Sym-
phony, trying new restaurants, visiting
the library and relishing the beauty of
Family members and former col-
leagues remember Amb. Smith fondly.
As one former associate recalled, “Bob
was one of the giants of our calling and
for so many of us a personal friend and
inspiration in a world that badly needs
such anchors of decency and kind-
ness.” Said his daughter Karen: “Dad
was a brilliant, accomplished man who
was also a devoted husband and a lov-
ing father and proud grandfather.”
Survivors include his wife of 58
years, Irene, of Missoula; four chil-
dren, Michael B. Smith (and his wife,
Debbie) of Belgrade, Mont.; Steven P.
Smith (and his wife, Alayne) of Lan-
caster, N.H.; Karen S. Martin of Mis-
soula; David R. Smith (and his wife,
Tracy) of Overland Park, Kan.; seven
grandchildren; and a sister, Emma
Louise McEver of Oklahoma City,
Marion Lipsis Tiger
, 92, widow
of retired FSOM. Gordon Tiger, died
on Nov. 19, 2011, in Fredericksburg,
Born in Chicago, Ill., on May 28,
1919, she was the daughter of the late
Arthur Lipsis and Alma Schreiber.
Mrs. Tiger began a long career in ad-
vertising, art editing and publicity
management in Chicago. During
World War II she worked for the Red
Cross. She accompanied her husband
to his Foreign Service posts in Tehran,
New Delhi and Karachi. During her
years abroad, she helped manage the
art collection at Embassy New Delhi
and edited local publications.
In 1978, at age 59, she received a
bachelor’s degree in mass communi-
cations from American University.
She operated a photography darkroom
and antique printing press from her
home, and was a talented illustrator
and cartoonist. She wrote and pro-
duced the 40th-anniversary publica-
tion for her community, Hollin Hills,
in Alexandria, Va., and volunteered in
the graphic arts department of the Na-
tional Museum of American History.
Mrs. Tiger was preceded in death
by her husband of 61 years, M. Gor-
don Tiger, and her brother Robert.
She is survived by two daughters,
Judith Tiger of Washington, D.C., and
Rebecca Gregson (and her husband,
Christopher Martin Gregson) of Fred-
ericksburg, Va.; and two grandsons,
Robert Gordon Gregson of New York
City and Edward Cowling Gregson of
Richmond, Va.
In lieu of flowers, the family re-
quests donations be made to the
Alzheimers Association or Mary
Washington Hospice.
Anthony H. Wirtz
, 84, a retired
FSO with USAID, died on Jan. 23 in
Boulder City, Nev.
Born on May 20, 1927, in Wilkes
Barre, Pa., Mr. Wirtz was raised in the
Chicago area. He enlisted in the U.S.
Army at age 17 and served at the end
of World War II in Berlin. After grad-
uating from the University of Notre
Dame in 1951, he worked in federal
management positions for the Na-
tional Aeronautics and Space Admin-
istration, the Bureau of Aeronautics,
the Bureau of Naval Weapons and the
Bureau of Indian Affairs. He joined
the Army Reserves during the Berlin
call-up of 1961, eventually retiring
with the rank of lieutenant colonel.
In 1965, Mr. Wirtz joined USAID
and was placed in charge of commu-
nity relations and technical assistance
for 12 provinces in South Vietnam.
His subsequent Foreign Service post-
ings were Vientiane, Islamabad and
Nouakchott. He retired fromUSAID
in 1981 and settled in Boulder City,