The Foreign Service Journal - July/August 2014 - page 69

Revenue Service, whose agents were chas-
ing war profiteers.
Later she joined the Drug Enforcement
Administration, during a time when large
amounts of heroin were being shipped
illegally through Vietnam to the United
States. During their second assignment, in
Colombia, she continued to work for the
DEA when that country became a center
for cocaine and marijuana.
A true adventurer, she made friends all
over the world. She took packs of teenag-
ers every weekend to the beach in the
Dominican Republic; managed to evade
scooters, cabs, and buses while master-
ing driving on the left side of the streets
in Jakarta; and spoke fluent Spanish and
The Greens were among the first Amer-
icans to travel to China when it opened to
tourism. On her own, Mrs. Green toured
the Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc coun-
tries in the 1970s, long before the fall of the
Soviet Union when travel was exception-
ally limited. Another of her amazing solo
adventures was an open-boat voyage up
the Mahakam River in Borneo, where she
visited the Dyak tribes.
Mrs. Green was a natural athlete.
Growing up, she danced tap and ballet,
rode horses, did gymnastics, and enjoyed
roller and ice skating. She loved tennis and
swimming, and swam for an hour a day
into her mid-80s. She preferred reading,
traveling, being with friends and going to
the beach to cooking and cleaning.
Her flexibility and tolerance extended
to allowing exotic pets, including snakes
and monkeys, to join the household. She
loved people and invited any and all into
her home—including many “adopted”
extra kids of all ages along the way.
Mrs. Green’s husband of 67 years,
Chuck, died in 2011. She is survived by her
son, Terry (and daughter-in-law JoAnn)
of Santa Monica, Calif.; her daughter,
Marilyn (and son-in-law Larry Jones)
of Moorpark, Calif.; four grandchildren;
and many nieces, nephews, in-laws and
friends around the world.
Michael J. Lippe
, 70, a retired For-
eign Service officer with USAID, died on
April 28 in Washington, D.C., after a long
The son of an American diplomat, Mr.
Lippe was born in Columbus, Ohio, but
grew up and attended schools in Cuba,
Singapore, Belgium and England. He
graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase
High School and the University of Michi-
gan. After receiving a J.D. fromHarvard
University, he went to Botswana for three
years as a Peace Corps Volunteer.
After joining USAID in 1976, Mr.
Lippe had tours in Ivory Coast, Kenya
and Tunisia, where he was a specialist
in urban development and housing, as
well as Washington, D.C. He retired from
USAID in 1996, but continued to work as a
contractor traveling on short-term assign-
ments to many places outside his primary
career specialization in Africa, including
Jakarta, Beijing and Prague.
After several years in Washington, D.C.,
Mr. Lippe relocated to Shepherdstown,
W. Va. He also provided pro bono legal
services to political refugees in the Wash-
ington, D.C., area.
Mr. Lippe was diagnosed with pancre-
atic cancer in 2007. With his doctor, Dung
Le, he wrote a book about his experience,
Pancreatic Cancer: A Patient and His
Doctor Balance Hope and Truth
Hopkins University Press, 2011). Following
the diagnosis, he unexpectedly enjoyed
six years of mostly pain-free and relatively
active living, during which he continued
to travel for pleasure. He was also an avid
Washington Nationals fan, and continued
to be involved in the well-being of his
children and grandchildren.
At the time of his death, Mr. Lippe was
planning to move to New Zealand, where
his youngest son, Luengo, had settled. His
second-oldest son was helping him get
ready for the move. Friends and family
members remember Mr. Lippe’s liveliness,
his humor and his continuing interest in
the world.
He is survived by his first wife, Lesego
Lippe, and his second wife, Elizabeth Bel-
lamy; four sons: Motaki of North Carolina;
Motho andThapelo, both of Botswana;
and Luengo of New Zealand; seven
grandchildren; and a sister, Laurie, and a
brother, Stuart.
Haynes RichardsonMahoney Jr.
94, a retired Foreign Service officer, died
on April 5 in the Mayflower Nursing Home
in West Yarmouth, Mass.
Born on Feb. 13, 1920, Mr. Mahoney
grew up in Jacksonville, Fla., swimming
with the manatees in the St. Johns River
and shipping out one summer on a
banana boat to Cuba. In later life, he was
an avid sailor out of Bass Hole on Cape
Mr. Mahoney worked his way through
the University of Florida and then
attendedThe George Washington Univer-
sity, where he covered international affairs
as a part-time journalist for the
ton Herald
. During World War II he served
in France and Germany, then joined the
military government and directed the de-
nazification of the Bavarian press.
In 1949, Mr. Mahoney joined the State
Department as a press officer posted to
Germany. He was assigned toThailand
with the U.S. Information Agency in 1953,
returning to Washington, D.C., in 1956 to
work on Asian affairs. In 1959, he was sent
to Japan as deputy public affairs officer.
There he dealt with the anti-American
riots that derailed a planned visit by Presi-
dent Dwight Eisenhower and pioneered
1...,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68 70,71,72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79,...84
Powered by FlippingBook