The Foreign Service Journal - July/August 2014 - page 71

The same son who had fled Hungary
with him as a little boy and who later
became a two-time ambassador, Ambas-
sador Tibor P. Nagy Jr., accompanied him
on his return to Budapest, along with his
daughter-in-law and grandchildren.
During his career, Mr. Nagy received
various superior and meritorious honor
awards, as well as citations fromHaiti and
Italy. In addition to Hungarian and Eng-
lish, he was also fluent in Russian, French,
Italian and Spanish.
Mr. Nagy is survived by his son, Tibor
Jr., and daughter-in-law, Jane, of Lubbock,
Texas; two grandsons, Stephen and Peter;
a granddaughter, Tisza Rutherford; and
great-granddaughters Aliyah, Kalyx, Serey
and Abbey.
Sidney Sober, 94
, a retired Foreign
Service officer, died on April 21 at his
home in Front Royal, Va.
Mr. Sober was born in New York City.
He graduated magna cum laude, Phi Beta
Kappa, fromCity College (with a junior
year’s study in Paris on a special scholar-
ship) and entered U.S. government service
in 1940 in Washington, D.C., and then in
Bermuda. He served as a deck officer on
a U.S. Navy destroyer in the Pacific in the
latter months of World War II.
During his State Department years,
Mr. Sober was assigned to a year’s study at
both Northwestern University and the U.S.
Army War College, and received a master’s
degree in international affairs fromThe
George Washington University.
Mr. Sober joined the Foreign Service in
1947. He served in Madagascar, Czecho-
slovakia, Iceland, Turkey and India (where
he was acting consul general in Bombay
during the 1962 Sino-Indian War).
In earlier assignments in the Bureau of
Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs, Mr.
Sober was economic desk officer for South
Asia, director of regional affairs and staff
director of the Interdepartmental Regional
Group for the area.
His last overseas post was as minister-
counselor and deputy chief of mission in
Islamabad from 1969 to 1973.
During the last two years of this assign-
ment, when Pakistan was beginning to
recover from defeat in a war with India
that had ended with Pakistan’s loss of its
eastern wing, which became Bangladesh,
he was chargé d’affaires.
In 1973, Pakistan President Zulfikar Ali
Bhutto credited him for helping to bring
competing political elements together
to achieve unanimous approval by the
National Assembly for the new draft con-
stitution, the country’s first democratically
endorsed charter, which is still in effect
(though frequently amended). On the eve-
ning of the vote in the National Assembly,
Pres. Bhutto asked Mr. Sober to call on
him so the president could thank him.
Also in 1973, shortly after Palestinian
extremists assassinated the American
ambassador and his deputy in Khartoum,
the Pakistani government stationed a
round-the-clock security detail at Mr.
Sober’s residence for a period of several
weeks after reports of a terrorist plot tar-
geting Embassy Islamabad.
From 1974 to 1978, Mr. Sober served as
senior deputy assistant secretary of State
for Near Eastern and South Asian affairs.
During this period of intensive peacemak-
ing efforts and turmoil in the oil industry
in the Middle East, he frequently acted as
the bureau’s assistant secretary.
After retiring from the Foreign Service
1...,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,70 72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79,80,81,...84
Powered by FlippingBook