The Foreign Service Journal - November 2014 - page 87

After military service, he earned a master’s
degree in Latin American affairs at Johns
Hopkins University’s School of Advanced
International Studies inWashington, D.C.
Mr. Rubenstein worked for four years
with CARE, an international humanitarian
organization. He then worked for a major
labor union in the paper industry.
After a proposal by mail, Mr. Ruben-
steinmarried his wife, Estelle Rose, in
Continuing to seek out opportunities in
the international field, Mr. Rubenstein was
selected to go to Ecuador as a representa-
tive of the United States labor movement.
A three-month contract developed into a
two-year assignment with the U.S. Agency
for International Development.
During this time, he ran a labor leader-
ship training program and drafted some
of the first written labor agreements in the
history of Ecuador.
After his assignment with USAID, Mr.
Rubenstein transferred to the Department
of State and worked as a labor attaché at
Embassy Lima.
He then served inMontevideo as a
labor officer and in Santiago de Cali as
consul before returning toWashington,
D.C., where he served as executive secre-
tary of the Employee Management Labor
Relations Committee.
In 1967, Mr. Rubenstein was posted to
Managua as deputy chief of mission. Tours
in Tel Aviv, Mexico City and Guadalajara
followed. Mr. Rubenstein’s last assignment
was inWashington, D.C., where he served
as coordinator for U.S.-Mexican border
Mr. Rubenstein retired from the Foreign
Service in 1993, and he and his wife settled
in Florida. He fulfilled his lifetime dreamof
traveling the world, visiting more than 50
countries in retirement.
Mr. Rubinstein is survived by his wife
of 54 years, Estelle, of Plantation, Fla.;
children Ellen Bauer (and husband, Jere),
Lisa Rubenstein (and husband, Ashu) and
Michael Rubenstein (and wife, Cheryl);
and grandchildren Jere III, Isabel, Maya,
Malaika, Ruby, Lily and Audrey.
Memorial contributions may bemade
to the American Labor Museum, 83 Nor-
wood Street, Haledon NJ 07508.
JosephMonroe Segars,
75, a retired
Foreign Service officer and former ambas-
sador, died on July 20 in Lakewood Ranch,
Mr. Segars was born on Nov. 6, 1938, in
Hartsville, S.C. He was raised by his moth-
er’s sister and her husband, Walter and
Francis Hines, after his parents migrated
to Philadelphia in search of better jobs. He
rejoined his parents in 1956 and earned a
B.S. in education fromCheyney University
of Pennsylvania. He taught sixth grade in
the Gary, Ind., public school systemuntil
At the urging of a family friend, Mr.
Segars joined the Foreign Service in 1970
and was the first African-American FSO
assigned to Vienna, where he served until
1973. In 1974, he was assigned to the State
Department’s West African Affairs Depart-
ment as a desk officer for Liberia and Sierra
Two years later, he became one of the
first African-Americans to be assigned to
war-torn South Africa. His arrival as consul
general in Johannesburg coincided with
the outbreak of unrest in Soweto.
Mr. Segars went on to serve as consul
general in Jamaica and Nigeria. From1986
until 1989, he was deputy chief of mission
in Tanzania, where he lobbied successfully
to win the country’s understanding and
support for U.S. efforts to resolvemajor
South African conflicts.
He participated in the State Depart-
ment’s 34th annual Senior Seminar, and
in 1993 he was appointed ambassador
to the Republic of Cabo Verde, where he
remained until his retirement in 1996.
Following retirement, he served as a
consultant on U.S. relations with Africa. He
was an activemember and former trea-
surer of the Association of Black American
In recent years, he served as chairman
of the annual golf tournament for the Asso-
ciation for the Study of African-American
Life and History.
He was amember of Omega Psi Phi
and the recipient of several awards for his
Foreign Service contributions. In 1997, he
was awarded an honorary doctorate from
Southeastern University.
Amb. Segars is survived by his wife,
Elizabeth, of Lakewood Ranch, and their
son, Brian.
Anne “Nancy”Woodberry Sher-
, 83, wife of retired FSOGeorge F. Sher-
man, died peacefully on Aug. 29 at Chelsea
Retirement Community in Chelsea, Mich.,
after a long illness.
Mrs. Sherman was born on Oct. 11,
1930, in Boston, Mass., to Ronald and Elsie
(Carney) Woodberry.
On June 8, 1957, shemarried George
Sherman inWaban, Mass. From1964 to
1967, duringMr. Sherman’s career as a for-
eign correspondent, the couple was based
in London.
After her husband joined the Foreign
Service in 1981, Mrs. Sherman accompa-
nied himon overseas assignments. From
1981 to 1984, and then from1987 to 1991,
the couple was posted to India, first in
Kolkata and later in NewDelhi.
Their assignment in Egypt, whenMr.
Sherman served as political counselor,
lasted from1984 to 1987.
A caring wife andmother, Mrs. Sher-
man enjoyed traveling, cooking, gardening,
hiking, reading, teaching and volunteering
in the community. She had lived in Chelsea
1...,77,78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86 88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,...100
Powered by FlippingBook