Outreach is one of AFSA's main pillars, and we have significantly increased our attention to this important task. Not only is it our goal to keep our members informed, but also work to engage media, students, academics and think tanks, Congressional audiences, foreign diplomats and the American public.. We tell the story of America’s diplomats and development professionals, to ensure that others understand the importance of well-funded and properly resourced diplomacy.
AFSA also engages members and other key audiences in a number of creative ways including through educational programs with Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel), through a robust speakers bureau which places Foreign Service speakers around the country, numerous events (author appearances, panel discussions, high-profile speakers, etc.) both at AFSA and elsewhere, and the national high school essay contest. These programs are supported by our 501(c)(3) non-profit entity, the Fund for American Diplomacy. If you’d like to support the FAD, click here.
Of course, we maintain a robust outreach program via our numerous social media outlets – we hope you’ll connect with us there!
We encourage you to connect with our communications and outreach staff if you have questions or are interested in our work.
- Ásgeir Sigfússon, Director of Communications, (202) 944-5508
- Allan Saunders, Outreach and Communications Specialist, (202) 719-9712
- Dr. Catherine Kannenberg, Outreach Coordinator, (202) 719-9705
- Christine Miele, Retiree Outreach Coordinator, (202) 944-5517
- Perri Green, Awards Coordinator, (202) 719-9700
- Jeff Lau, Online Communications Manager, (202) 944-5514