Professionalism and Ethics
AFSA is engaged in a long-term project aimed at strengthening ethics and professionalism in the Foreign Service. To that end, we have established a Committee on the Foreign Service Profession and Ethics, chaired by retired FSO Rob Dry. The committee is charged with, among other things, creating a code of ethics and professional conduct for the Foreign Service, examining the possibility of regular ethics training for Foreign Service members, encouraging that such training be required for promotions within the Foreign Service, and otherwise more clearly defining and institutionalizing professionalism within the Foreign Service.
This page will keep you informed about AFSA's activities in this area and make available information related to these issues as AFSA collects and creates them. If you are interested in this initiative, the committee's new Ethics Working Group is looking for volunteers, so please fill out and submit the application form (download Word doc or pdf link) as soon as possible. Submit the form to email@example.com. The Ethics Working Group will meet at least once or twice a month and be responsible for designing an interactive process by which AFSA and our members will work together to build a professional code of conduct for those engaged in world-wide available diplomatic service broadly defined.
AFSA Materials on Ethics and Professionalism
- "Spotting and Solving Ethical Dilemmas at Work" with Dr. Terry Newell (video)
- "The Core Values and Ethical Environment in the United States Foreign Service, A Report to the Institute for Global Ethics," by William E. Loges, Ph.D.
- Introduction to Ethical Fitness Seminar
- Best Practices - Creating Codes of Ethics
- Defining "Profession"
- Professionalism in the U.S. Government with Dr. Don Snider (video)
USG and DOS Ethics and Regulations
- 3 FAM 1214 Leadership and Management Principles for Department Employees
- United States Government Executive Branch Code of Ethics
- Department of the Interior Ethics Guide
- DOS 3 FAM 4100 Employee Responsibility and Conduct
- DOS 3 FAM 4200 Standards of Conduct for Former Employees
- 2008 House of Representatives Ethics Manual
- 1958 Code of Ethics for U.S. Government Service
- U.S. Office of Government Ethics
- DOS/USAID Situational Mentor Trifold
Codes of Conduct from Other Services/Countries
- Australian DFAT Code of Conduct for Overseas Service
- Finnish Ethical Code of Conduct
- Iceland Code of Conduct
- United Kingdom Civil Service Code
- United Kingdom Ministerial Code
- Diplomatic Law Guide by Carl Islam