Jobs at AFSA
Director, Professional Policy Issues
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) seeks a full-time Director of Professional Policy Issues with demonstrable interest and expertise in the health and vigor of the Foreign Service as an institution. The Director leads the Professional Policy Issues (PPI) Department in AFSA’s Washington, D.C., headquarters office. Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and exclusive bargaining agent of the U.S. Foreign Service.
The Director is the primary policy advisor on staff. The Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of AFSA’s policy platform aimed at strengthening the U.S. Foreign Service. The Director will lead the Professional Policy Issues’ Department, represent AFSA’s interests in a number of partnerships, coalitions and alliances, and ensure AFSA management is informed and poised to act on policy-related matters.
The Director will report directly to the AFSA President and work with other Governing Board officials and other AFSA staff. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Direct the planning, development and implementation of legislative and public policy positions, initiatives and activities, reflecting the association’s strategic priorities.
- Conduct policy analysis and provide AFSA governing board and senior leadership with information about best practices, trends in workforce planning and current research;
- Lead a team capable of translating complex research reports for a broader, sophisticated audience of media, policymakers, thought leaders and the general public.
- Manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs and initiatives in support of AFSA policy objectives.
- Liaise with third-party policy coalitions and alliances and other partner organizations in order to build support of AFSA policy priorities.
- Oversees the development of trainings and advocacy campaigns directed at engaging AFSA’s broad network of partners, supporters and members as policy advocates on behalf of the Foreign Service.
- Oversee efforts to facilitate and coordinate AFSA contacts with Congressional offices, federal agencies and state and local policymakers.
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- 5+ years of public policy experience lobbying and/or commensurate executive branch experience;
- Experience in the Foreign Service;
- Working knowledge of the legislative process, including the authorization and appropriations processes.
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills;
- Self starter who can take general direction and produce specific results;
- Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects and their implications on the Foreign Service in legislative proposals and to quickly synthesize policy documents for senior leadership and other stakeholders.
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational and analytical skills; experience interpreting and applying data and research from multiple sources in order to recommend a best course of action, even in ambiguous situations;
- Accomplished communicator, both orally and in writing; Effective public speaker and external representative who can promote AFSA’s policies and its members at events (e.g., panels, one-on-one meetings and large group settings).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and mentor staff; holds self and others accountable for following procedures, guidelines and policies and addressing performance and behavior issues.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously within deadlines;
- Ability and willingness to assume additional responsibilities and work independently and collaboratively internally and externally;
- Commitment to AFSA’s nonpartisan mission and goals.
Please apply by COB January 17, 2017 by sending your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to AFSA at email@example.com, and specify “PPI Director” in the subject line. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please.
Executive Assistant/Office Manager
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) seeks a full-time Executive Assistant to the State Vice President (www.afsa.org/state) and Office Manager for its Labor Management office at the Department of State (2201 C Street, NW, Room 1251).
Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and public sector union for the United States Foreign Service. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks. He/she must be highly dependable, flexible, pro-active and organized. He/she also must possess good judgment and strong interpersonal skill and have the ability to prioritize, multi-task, follow through in a timely manner and work under pressure with all levels of personnel. Computer and internet-savvy, he/she should be able to identify new applications of technology to optimize and professionalize our labor management operations. Prior executive assistant or office management experiences with a labor union or State Department is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree and strong writing, proofing, and critical thinking skills
- Advanced user proficiency with MS Office application suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, as well as familiarity with database applications such as MS Access
- Excellent calendar management skills, including the organization and coordination of complex executive-level meetings and the ability to reprioritize as needed
- Strong presentation support skills, e.g. briefing books, power point and speech processing, biographic information gathering, logistical, travel and event arrangements
- Excellent telephone skills, including listening, accurate repetition, and effective networking know-how
- Strong inter-personal communication skills and ability to flag risks and delicate issues to the State Vice President and other office colleagues
- Office management and business skills to support operations of ten member office
- Ability to greet office walk-ins and provide direct assistance to AFSA members
- Eligibility to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
Tech savvy, member friendly, service oriented - if that describes you please send a cover letter and resume no later than January 19, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please indicate “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. Salary is $50,000 per year. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please.