Jobs at AFSA
Position: Associate Editor
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) seeks a full-time Associate Editor for its headquarters office in Washington, D.C. Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and public sector union for the United States Foreign Service.
The Associate Editor is a critical member of AFSA’s Publications Team. The ideal candidate will possess solid, demonstrated writing and editing skills and experience, work experience in publication production, a working knowledge of Associated Press style, and a deep understanding of the Foreign Service. The incumbent must be locally based in the Washington, D.C., area for at least the next three years. Duties will include:
- Exercising primary responsibility for the AFSA News, Talking Points and In Memory departments of The Foreign Service Journal.
- Managing the editorial and production schedules of the aforementioned departments, including planning, setting deadlines, soliciting articles and columns, writing and editing.
- Attending AFSA (and other) events as reporter and photographer, in some cases before or after regular business hours.
- Researching, writing, editing and proofing, as assigned, for other FSJ departments and AFSA publications, including primary responsibility for the annual report.
This position reports to the Publications Director/FSJ Editor. The incumbent must be highly dependable, proactive and well-organized; possess sound judgment, good humor and flexibility; have the ability to prioritize, multitask and follow through; and be able to work under pressure with all levels of personnel.
APPLICANT MUST HAVE:
- Excellent, demonstrated writing, editing, copyediting and proofreading skills.
- Minimum three years of experience in writing and editing for a publication.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the Foreign Service.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to synthesize, interpret and report on complex issues and technical information.
- Ability to work with internal teams and external contributors.
DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with photography.
Please send a cover letter and resume by February 16 to email@example.com. Please indicate “ASSOCIATE EDITOR” in the subject line. Competitive salary. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please.