Jobs at AFSA
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) seeks a full-time Research Analyst with demonstrable interest and expertise in the Foreign Service and human resource management to join its Professional Policy Issues (PPI) Department in its Washington, D.C., headquarters office.
Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and public sector union for the United States Foreign Service. The Research Analyst will be responsible for managing and implementing AFSA’s research agenda, the findings of which will advance the association’s strategic thinking on how best to build a strong Foreign Service that is equipped to lead America’s foreign policy in the 21st century. The research will feed into the association’s negotiations with management at each of the foreign affairs agencies as well as its advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill. The Research Analyst will report directly to the Director of Professional Policy Issues and work with the AFSA President and other Governing Board officials, the Executive Director, and other AFSA departments.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Developing a research agenda relating to issues impacting the Foreign Service workforce to be accomplished through a combination of in-house research, contracts and partnerships. Topics to be explored may include recruitment, hiring and retention, diversity, leadership and management, training, family matters, benefits and allowances, etc.
- Writing and editing research reports, memos and policy briefs for and presenting to the AFSA Governing board and senior leadership on findings on trends and best practices in workforce planning.
- Producing data-driven and qualitative research, reports and publications for external audiences.
- Contributing to the preparation and delivery of workshops, panels and seminars held as part of the research programs.
- Providing research support to advance AFSA’s advocacy efforts.
- Developing and maintaining contacts with partner organizations, researchers and other interested parties.
Qualified candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in public policy, business or other relevant field; and three to five years of relevant policy and research experience. Applicants should possess a strong understanding of the Foreign Service career. Experience in human capital management will be viewed favorably. The successful applicant will be a team player with strong quantitative and qualitative research skills. He or she will also have had experience writing and/or editing policy papers and delivering oral briefings.
Please send a cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com by Friday, December 16, 2016, and indicate “Research Analyst” in the subject line. Salary is $65,000 per year. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please.
Executive Assistant/Office Manager
The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) seeks a full-time Executive Assistant to the State Vice President (www.afsa.org/state) and Office Manager for its Labor Management office at the Department of State (2201 C Street NW, Room 1251).
Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and public sector union for the United States Foreign Service. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks. He/she must be highly dependable, flexible, pro-active and organized. He/she also must possess good judgment and strong interpersonal skill and have the ability to prioritize, multi-task, follow through in a timely manner and work under pressure with all levels of personnel. Computer and internet-savvy, he/she should be able to identify new applications of technology to optimize and professionalize our labor management operations. Prior executive assistant or office management experiences with a labor union or State Department is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree and strong writing, proofing, and critical thinking skills
- Advanced user proficiency with MS Office application suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, as well as familiarity with database applications such as MS Access
- Excellent calendar management skills, including the organization and coordination of complex executive-level meetings and the ability to re-prioritize as needed
- Strong presentation support skills, e.g. briefing books, power point and speech processing, biographic information gathering, logistical, travel and event arrangements
- Excellent telephone skills, including listening, accurate repetition, and effective networking know-how
- Strong inter-personal communication skills and ability to flag risks and delicate issues to the State Vice President and other office colleagues
- Office management and business skills to support operations of ten-member office
- Ability to greet office walk-ins and provide direct assistance to AFSA members
- Eligibility to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
Tech savvy, member friendly, service oriented. If that describes you please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 2, 2016. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please indicate “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. Salary $50,000 per year. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please.