Jobs at AFSA
Publications Coordinator/Project Manager
AFSA is seeking a dynamic and collaborative full-time Publications Coordinator/Project Manager to lead editorial projects effectively, coordinate workflow and schedules, and bring innovation and a tech-savvy approach to our publications systems and processes. The successful candidate will serve as a critical member of the editorial team in the Publications Department, working primarily on The Foreign Service Journal and Foreign Service Books projects, management and administration. AFSA’s editorial team is moving strategically toward digitization and deploying of new technologies. We are looking for a team member who can contribute to this goal and potentially advance to the role of a Publications Manager or Managing Editor.
Reporting to the Journal’s Director of Publications/Editor-in-Chief, the ideal candidate will possess publications management experience and understanding of cutting-edge publishing technologies, solid editing and writing skills, a working knowledge of the publishing industry, understanding of basic marketing practices and an understanding of the Foreign Service. Duties will include:
- Leading publishing projects and implementing new technologies. Serving as primary coordinator for editorial workflows and schedules.
- Content management and manuscript tracking; back-up writer and editor for The Foreign Service Journal, Foreign Service Books and other association publications.
- Re-purposing content for different media/publications purposes; project management and administration for Foreign Service Books.
- Minimum of three years of experience working in publications management (book publishing a plus).
- Strong understanding of publishing technologies and their applicability.
- Ability to work with internal teams and external contributors.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work under deadline pressure.
- Editing and writing experience (including proofreading and copyediting). Knowledge of both Chicago and AP Style preferred.
- Flexible and collegial work style.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- An understanding of Foreign Service highly desired.
We are looking for someone who will be resident in the D.C. area for at least three (3) years from date of appointment.
Interested and qualified candidates may send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include salary requirements. Please indicate “Publications Coordinator/Project Manager” in the subject line. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please. EOE. Please apply by October 12.