The Office of the AFSA President
Barbara Stephenson, AFSA President
Welcome to the AFSA President’s page! The 2015-2017 AFSA Governing Board pledges to do its best to represent the 16,500 members of the association and to leave the Foreign Service as a stronger and more vital institution at the end of our term.
The Governing Board is committed to building on the work and momentum of past boards to ensure we have the 21st-century Foreign Service that our country needs. The serious challenges American diplomacy and the Foreign Service face today will deepen. We will need to be more determined, more creative and bolder in presenting the case that diplomacy and development are key instruments of national power and that allocating adequate resources for the Foreign Service is a good investment for the U.S. taxpayer, against the backdrop of a very tough fiscal environment.
We have in AFSA an important tool for the Foreign Service. We need to utilize its full potential as a professional association and as a union. For AFSA to be an effective voice of the Foreign Service, and for us to tell our story more convincingly both to the American public and to our Congress, we need your broad and sustained engagement. With this engagement and support we can continue to grow an AFSA that is a powerful advocate for diplomacy and the Foreign Service. Together we can also make AFSA a catalyst for reforms to improve service conditions and the effectiveness of our diplomacy and development policy.
I welcome your comments and suggestions. AFSA's members are more than our eyes and ears around the world – you are a rich source of experience, insights and skills, as well as our motivation. Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outreach to Public
- Secretary Kerry on Overseas Comparability Pay (AFSA News, April 2016)
- 2016 Global Ties Conference: Promoting the Foreign Service (AFSA News, April 2016)
- Engaging High School Students: Model UN Conference (AFSA News, April 2016)
- The FY 2016 Consolidated Appropriations Act (AFSA News, March 2016)
- A Conversation with Pearson Fellows (AFSA News, March 2016)
- Power in Numbers: Coalition Collaboration (AFSA News, March 2016)
- Foreign Service 101 on Capitol Hill (AFSA News, December 2015)
- AFSA Hits the Congressional Caucus Circuit (AFSA News, December 2015)
- AFSA President Urges Focus on “New Threat Set” at NYC’s Lincoln Center (AFSA News, November 2015)
- Continuing the Conversation (AFSA News, November 2015)
- New Partnership Engages Next Generation: Building Peace through Diplomacy (AFSA News, November 2015)
- Ambassador Young on the Call to Serve (AFSA News, November 2015)
- AFSA High School Essay Winner Goes to Washington (AFSA News, October 2015)
- AFSA and Smithsonian Partner on Foreign Service Outreach (AFSA News, October 2015)
- TLG Summer Intern Catches the Foreign Service Itch (AFSA News, October 2015)
- New AFSA Governing Board Sworn In (AFSA News, September 2015)
- NYC Lincoln Center UCL Annual Event Handout (September 17, 2015)