AFSA relies on a number of active duty and retired members to participate in the work of the various committees that allow some of the organization's inner workings to proceed in a smooth and orderly fashion. We are grateful to these individuals for their willingness to donate their time and expertise.
We encourage anyone with an interest in serving on a committee to be on the lookout for periodic vacancy updates. Please click one of the following links to apply for a vacancy on one of our committees: [PDF] [WORD]
Awards and Plaques Committee
Oversees the AFSA memorial plaques and recommends names to be added to them. In cooperation with the AFSA governing board, members also recommend the winners of AFSA's awards for constructive dissent, exemplary performance, Lifetime Contributions to American Diplomacy, and the Sinclaire Language Awards.
- Janice Bay (acting chair)
- Other members: Anthony Fernandes, Eva Groening, Ruth Hall, Allison Lee, Daniel Martinez, Patricia Norland, Hon. Barbara Stephenson (ex officio)
Finance, Audit and Management Committee
Works with the AFSA governing board to oversee the organization's budget process and the annual audit.
- Hon. Charles A. Ford (chair)
- Other members: Angie Bryan, Sharon Wayne, Steve Morrison, Mark Petry, Hon. Tom Boyatt, Hon. Barbara Stephenson (ex officio), Ian Houston (ex officio)
Oversees the selection and awarding of AFSA's financial aid and merits scholarships; also has stewardship over the AFSA Scholarship Fund.
- Hon. Lange Schermerhorn (chair)
- Other members: Karen Brown (DACOR liaison), Dr. Alia El-Mohandes (USAID rep), Barbara Farrar (FCS rep), Thomas Smitham (State rep), Christine Strossman (FAS rep), Bess Zelle (State rep), Hon. Barbara Stephenson (ex officio)
The Foreign Service Journal Editorial Board
Works with the Journal staff and AFSA governing board to draw up the Journal's editorial calendar and selects works for publication from among those submitted for each issue.
- Beth Payne (chair)
- Other members: James Bever, Angela Bond, Hon. Gordon S. Brown, Stephen W. Buck, Eric Green, Kara McDonald, John G. Rendeiro Jr., Duncan Walker, Tracy Whittington, Hon. Barbara Stephenson (ex officio)
Committee on Elections
Oversees the biannual AFSA election process and works with AFSA staff to ensure the integrity of the election and its results.
- Hon. Robert "Bill" Farrand (chair)
- Other members: Jenna Bucha Jones, Mort Dworken, Chris Green, Russell Knight, Ian Houston (AFSA staff), Sharon Papp (AFSA staff), Janet Hedrick (AFSA staff)
Committee on the Foreign Service Profession and Ethics
Charged with increasing professionalism within the Foreign Service and creating a code of ethics for Foreign Service employees. Click here to learn more about AFSA's Professionalism & Ethics Initiative.
- Robert Dry (chair)
- Other members: Anne Bodine, Kara Eyrich, Eva Groening, Aaron Held, Susan R. Johnson, Dale Lawton, Inga Litvinsky, Hon. Charles Ray, Ryan Weddle, Hon. Barbara Stephenson (ex officio)
Monitors governance and recommends standard operating procedures and practices. Consists of current Governing Board members and agency vice presidents.
- William Haugh (chair)
- Other members: Hon. Charles Ford, Ian Houston (AFSA staff), Sharon Papp (AFSA staff), Patrick Bradley (AFSA staff), Hon. Barbara Stephenson (ex officio)