The American Foreign Service Association (AFSA) seeks a full-time Editorial/Publications Specialist for its headquarters office (2101 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20037). Established in 1924, AFSA is the professional association and public sector union for the United States Foreign Service.
AFSA is seeking an editor and publications specialist to join our Communications Team. The ideal candidate will possess solid writing and editing skills, understanding of basic marketing practices, a working knowledge of the publishing industry and an understanding of the Foreign Service. The incumbent’s duties will include:
- Editing materials for AFSA’s monthly magazine The Foreign Service Journal, as well as other association publications.
- Managing content for the magazine and FSBooks – AFSA’s publishing entity.
- Repurposing content for different media/publications/purposes, as directed.
- Project Management for FSBooks, as guided by the Publications Manager/FSJ Editor-in-Chief
This position reports to the Director of Communications through the Publications Manager/FSJ Editor-in-Chief. Knowledge of both Chicago and AP Style preferred. Experience in book publishing a plus. The incumbent must be highly dependable, pro-active and organized, and possess good judgment, good humor and flexibility, have the ability to prioritize, multi-task and follow through, and work under pressure with all levels of personnel.
- Editing (including proofreading and copyediting) and writing experience.
- Minimum three years of experience in editing/publishing.
- Ability to work with internal teams and external contributors.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work quickly and independently, as well as within a group dynamic.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- An understanding of the Foreign Service.
Please send a cover letter and resume by March 14 to email@example.com. Please indicate “Editorial/Publications Specialist” in the subject line. Competitive salary. AFSA offers an excellent benefits package and collegial working environment. No calls please.